Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Getting your Residency in Ecuador

In all the phone calls and emails I get asking for advice about Ecuador the number one question I am asked is "how do I get my residency Visa?"  It is a very important question and also a pretty complicated one.

The truth is there are many ways you can get your Visa but most likely you will need some help from an experienced Visa Facilitator.  A Visa Facilitators responsibility is to help you learn what Visa you will need to apply for, what documents you will need to bring (or have shipped), and what will need to be Apostilled, notarized, or translated into Spanish.  Then they submit the paperwork on your behalf and follow your application through from the initial application to completion, ultimately saving you time, headache, and money.  

This can be a nightmare to do on your own ESPECIALLY if you do not know Spanish and understand the way that the Ecuadorian government works.  If you think things get done here the way they get done in America and Europe you are in for a big surprise.

With all of the other things you will need to worry about making a transition to life in Ecuador would you really want to fumble around with all the paperwork also?  This applies especially to retirees who want to come here to relax and enjoy their years here.  Processing your own Visa paperwork is hardly fun times when you have already worked for 40 plus years of your life.  Let a pro handle it for you.

If you are having problems finding this pro allow me to recommend one for you that has helped a few expats I know here get their Visa paperwork facilitated along with their Cedula.  Just email me Mike Bruner at themiddleoftheworld@gmail.com and tell me what your situation is and if it makes sense I will point you in the right direction.